Tips to detect fraud while buying or selling
For buyers, pay extra attention when:
- The product has a suspiciously low price.
- The seller asks for an advance payment/fee.
- The seller gives a different location from the one provided in the ad.
- The seller cannot meet in a public place but insists on delivering the item.
- The seller requests for personal information (bank details, email address, debit/credit card number etc or other information that could be misused).
- The ad appears too good to be true - the price is way low compared to the value of the item.
For sellers, pay extra attention when:
- The buyer insists on paying via Cheque, Western union or MoneyGram.
- The buyer insists on receiving the item before paying for it.
- The buyer requests for personal information (bank details, email address, debit/credit card number etc or other information that could be misused).
- The buyer is located in a foreign country.
See a sample of suspicious messages or calls.
The car is not within Accra it is in Tema Metropolitan send some cash for fuel.
The seller asks for a deposit especially for houses, vehicles or electronics even before you view it. If he/she claims the house or Vehicles is on high demand and has more than one buyer looking for the same house or vehicle and insists on you making deposit report the matter to us.
If you receive a call from some one purporting to be working for OLX and they request for your account pin-code Contact us immediately. DO NOT SHARE YOUR PIN-CODE with anyone even an OLX agent.
Important: Always verify ALL electronics and Mobile Phones before and after making the payment.
If you suspect an ad, please click on the Report item button on the side of each post.
If you have been a victim of fraud, please Contact Us immediately.